Monday, October 18, 2010

Healing with Chamomile


Peter was so tired that he flopped down upon the nice soft sand on the floor of the rabbit-hole and shut his eyes. His mother was busy cooking; she wondered what he had done with his clothes. It was the second little jacket and pair of shoes that Peter had lost in a fortnight!

I am sorry to say that Peter was not very well during the evening.

His mother put him to bed, and made some chamomile tea; and she gave a dose of it to Peter!

Beatrix Potter, "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"


Chamomile is such a delightful herb. Although I have only just begun to benefit from its healing worth, I already love this herb. I'm  certain is will be among my favorites throughout my years (eighty, at least) of home doctorin'. Like many other herbs, it is versatile in its uses: tea, massage oil, salve, tincture, liniment, and hair rinse, to name a few off the top of my head. It soothes pain, cleanses wounds, calms nerves, and brings rest.

Peter Rabbit's mother knew just the thing for her bunny boy. According to The ABC Herbal, "Chamomile helps to settle the stomach and calm the nerves. Chamomile is probably one of the very best nervine herbs for children. It aids digestion, expels gas from the bowel, soothes the nerves and reduces inflammation." Peter certainly had been through some harrowing experiences that day, and I am quite sure that he was quivering because his poor little nerves had been stretched so very far. Oh, I am sure Peter felt ever so much better after that dose of Mama Rabbit's chamomile tea.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.com
Chamomile is of the Asteraceae (or daisy) family. The particular type of chamomile used medicinally is matricaria recutita, commonly known as German chamomile. "The flowers have a strong, aromatic smell, and bloom in early to mid summer." (Wikipedia.com

"The major effects of chamomile are due to its volatile oils. Therefore, it is imperative that the freshest herb be used before the oils evaporate. The actions of chamomile are strongest on the liver and kidneys where the volatile oils apparently stimulate the organs to purge themselves of toxins. ...The Arabians used it in massage oils. ...Contain aromatic compounds that increase the production of digestive fluids, reduce muscle spasms and pains, reduce inflammation and are antiseptic. In addition, these compounds have a sedative effect. ...Chamomile is one of the best herbal sources of niacin, magnesium, and essential fatty acids. It has been used to treat dyspepsia, flatulence, nausea, vomiting, dysmenorrhea, bronchitis, urinary tract infections, insomnia, headaches, and menstrual cramps." (Excerpts from Nutritional Herbology)

Ah yes, chamomile is comfort itself. Its bright cheerful colors alone make the spirit lighter.

Photo accessed via the world-wide web
Chamomile tea is so pleasant; it is sweetness itself. Its flavor is lightly perfumed and has a slight straw-like aftertaste, in my opinion. (If you've ever chewed on a piece of straw from a barn, you know of what I refer to.) Preparation for chamomile tea couldn't be simpler...

First, place one tablespoon of dried chamomile flowers in a tea ball (or other such tea paraphernalia). 


Pour one cup of boiling water over the herbs. Steep for five minutes. Sweeten with honey.

Enjoy and relax!

I can think of few situations more pitiable than that of new parents and a colicky baby. To be sure, there is joy in welcoming a precious new life to the home, but poor Mama is weak and a bit stressed from bringing that little one into the world, and Daddy just wants life to return to its peaceful, normal pace. A few weeks ago, Melissa (she and her family are good friends our ours) called me up. She had just given birth to her first daughter, Leah -- news I was thrilled to receive! However, dear little Leah was suffering from colic; Melissa asked me for advice. Colic was something I had never studied up on but I was able to come up with several treatments which sounded promising.

Colic is an ailment that 25% of infants suffer from. "The term colic refers to a condition in which an infant will cry inconsolably from one to four hours at a time. A typical spell is typified by a high-pitched, loud cry that is continuous. The child may pull its legs up toward its stomach as if in abdominal pain or its legs may be extended straight out. Often the infant's hands are clenched. They may hold their breath or grimace. Frequently their faces become flushed, while their feet remain cold. These episodes can occur at any time, but often begin in the late afternoon or early evening." (About.com) Whaaa! Just reading that description makes me want to cry. Poor little baby!!! =(

Different factors are involved in aggravating a case of colic. A mother who is nursing should consider eliminating certain foods from her diet: spicy cuisine, citrus, peanuts, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, nightshades (tomatoes and peppers), corn, onions, garlic, soda and coffee, food dyes, and soy products. When I gave this list to Melissa, she asked me, "Maybe it would be easier if you just told me what I can eat." =D Yes, Mama will have to make some sacrifices but I think it would be worth it to have a peaceful, happy little darling. There are many other things to consider and various treatments that help. A wonderfully tried, true and thorough resource is this thread on WellTellMe.com (the link will direct you to a message summarizing the rather lengthy thread).

Photo accessed via the world-wide web
All of this brings us back to chamomile tea. As we read above from The ABC Herbal, chamomile "aids digestion, expels gas from the bowel, soothes the nerves and reduces inflammation." A few drops can be given to a colicky baby every hour to soothe a painful tummy. Important: Do not use honey to sweeten.  Honey can be harmful to babies under one year of age. Unsweetened chamomile tea is generally best in the case of treating a baby. Of course, chamomile tea is also good for Mama. Not only will its healing qualities pass on to Baby when nursing, but it will also help considerably in calming Mama's poor nerves! =) 


Such a tiny flower... but God gave it such important, effective properties. That speaks of a Creator's love and care for His most special creation. One of my favorite projects thus far into my herbology course was a massage oil made up of two simple ingredients: dried chamomile flowers and extra-virgin olive oil.



This mixture was set on a sunny windowsill for a week. Well, it was actually closer to two weeks. I neglected it somewhat. But, the longer the better, I suppose! =)


After marinating in the sunshine, it was time to strain the oil. I found the best way of doing this was with cheesecloth. A bit messy, but I was able to squeeze the most oil out of the flowers and ensure that no fragments of the herb passed through with the oil.


A delicate floral scent, a rich golden color, and gentle healing properties make this massage oil something I love.


I had my first opportunity to experience the healing abilities of chamomile when my younger sister came down with a mild cold and a miserably stiff neck. =( She was given doses of bryonia alba (homeopathic) and the sore spot was rubbed down with arnica gel (also homeopathic), but still she suffered. After day three, I decided to give my chamomile oil a try. Shortly after I gave Bonnie a nice gentle neck massage, she told me it didn't hurt as badly. We continued the regimen for a few more days until the pain was completely gone. My chamomile oil was the only treatment which gave her any considerable relief.

I recently order a half-pound of dried chamomile flowers from Bulk Herb Store (along with many other wonderful herbs). I already have big plans for those sweet little buds. I am eager to begin discovering other ways of bringing health to my family and myself with chamomile.

God created healing herbs before man's body was even cursed with disease. He also provided the way of salvation for man's eternal soul before man ever sinned. Our loving Creator God did not place a curse on us that He had not already provided the Healing for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your much needed wisdom. I do so love herbs and all its wonderful benefits.

I have been following your blog for several months and I love learning from so many helpful and interesting subjects. But most of all I am always encourged that God is the common thread that binds all your writings together.

Thank you,but i must get back to reading some more of your posts!

Naomi Ungry said...

Thank you so much for your kind comment! I'm so glad my blog has been a blessing to you. God bless you!

Naomi