Monday, November 8, 2010

Qunbuq, Sikuibvik, Puktaaq, Sikuvik, Siku

"What an odd title!" you may be thinking. The five words above are in the Inupiaq Eskimo language. Although English is the predominant language among the Eskimo people today, many do still speak their native language fluently, particularly those of the older generations. The people also love to sing hymns in Inupiaq, as do my family and myself. With the words in front of you and a steady rhythm to help you along, learning to sing in Inupiaq is generally easy. However, I know very little of this complex language by memory so I had to use an online translator to learn these words. (chuckle)

Qunbuq: brightness on horizon indicating presence of ice on ocean


I thought I would share some photos which I took a few days ago. The ocean has been slowly freezing up during the recent weeks. The qunbuq moves in and out with the current of the ocean and changes in the wind. Pretty soon it will move in permanently and we will see nothing but white on white on white until Sikuibvik.

Sikuibvik: May (lit. ice break-up time) 


I have always loved this old overturned umiaq (skin boat) on the bank. It has been there since before my family moved to this village, at least. I think it is so picturesque. I have hundreds of pictures of it, surrounded by the different seasons.

Puktaaq: Iceberg


Sikuvik: October (lit. ice time)



Siku: ice

No comments: