Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Weather and Our Health

On November 13, we sorrowfully said goodbye to the sun.


We were graced with a gentle departure...



...and a final burst of glory as it vanished from the view of our northerly latitude.


The True LIGHT and overcoming peace of Christ's presence becomes so real during the dark days of Arctic winter. During the those endless night-stretching days when it seems that carrying on with joy is hopeless, His presence is enough. When spiritual oppression is strong and sensed, we only have to pray and Jesus delivers us. When a month passes without leaving the house except to walk the dog... when patience runs low and there is a discord in our home, He gives grace and helps and restores.

With His presence comes a real sense of contentment that is found only in Him.

Time and again, He proves Himself sufficient for the needs of every day.

So, for those who wonder how we can bear to live no less seventy days and nights (that's ten weeks, or two and a half months) without the sun's cheery glow, all I can say is Jesus is truly the Light of our home.

And He is so gracious.


I'm sure thankful for a snug, warm home that keeps my family safe from the elements of the winter! We had a good deal of construction taking place on our street. The poor guys out there kept laboring on through the nastiest weather. The North Slope borough pays so good that men from all over the lower 48 are willing to brave the fiercest conditions on earth for a job. What fortitude!


This winter has actually been considerably mild. We had some very unusual warm spells when the snow was actually melting! And in November, we actually had RAIN! AHH! What is the world coming to?! (chuckle) We had only two true "white outs" or blizzards this winter... so far, anyway. =)


The strength of the wind during a blizzard is awe-inspiring. Unless you've felt it, you can't imagine how exhilarating it is. In this picture you can see a power line being blown a strong gust.


My sister braves all the worst blizzards to take care of our outdoor dog, Duke (a Husky). She's a true Alaskan. =)


Last Sunday as I walked up the stairs I saw the most wonderful thing!!! Okay. Cuckoo clock weights. Nice. No, not that! On the wall -- LOOK! Shadows! I pointed out my discovery to each member of my family as they came up the stairs. Yes. I was that thrilled. =)


The Lord gave us the loveliest four-hour sunrise/sunset (there's nothing between =) on Sunday. Oh. It was food for my soul.


Somewhere just beneath the horizon is the orb creating that fire in the sky.


Power lines have a certain artistry to them, don't you think? Ah, well. I try to make do with the scene I have from my window. =)


Alappaa! (Inupiaq for "cold.") The thermometer read just about as low as it possibly could today. Windchill brings that temperature down even lower.


My family has been sharing a yucky cold this week. I thought I would manage to escape it but yesterday I felt a funny tickle in my throat and knew I was doomed. (sigh) I took echinacea, goldenseal and vitamin C right away. That evening I introduced homeopathic spongia toasta to my system, and before bed I did a salt-water gargle. I thought for sure I would wake up feeling dreadful this morning, but all I had was that same tickle in my throat. Thank God. I asked Him to please give me the strength I needed to do housework today -- and He did! I had energy for the most part of the day. My Great Physician is so good!

So, the Lord enabled me to do some thorough cleaning of the fridge and freezer this morning. After lunch I did a complete scouring of the bathrooms, including hand-mopping the floors (a mop never seems to do a good enough job in the bathroom. Boy, is it satisfying to get those little nooks and crannies clean!) Speaking of which, I did away with most household cleaners last year. Diluted vinegar does a far better job than some of the best-advertised products. It's healthy, it's cheap, and it doesn't leave that icky residue in your sink. No doubt it helped rid my respiratory tract of pathogens, too! =D I also managed to keep the laundry going, mop the kitchen, help with dinner, wash a huge pile of dishes, and tidy up the kitchen. Although I am completely exhausted now, I'm sure that all the activity of today will help me fight this cold in the long run. Keeping the lymphatic system pumping is important when you're sick. Otherwise all of the "sickness" in your body settles in different cavities, such as your sinuses. Not fun. I just hope I didn't overdo it today... I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning. =)


Drinking plenty of fluids is also essential when you're sick. Your kidneys work overtime when you're fighting infection so keeping them flushed out is a must. Herbal teas are ideal as they not only hydrate, cleanse and flush out your system, but they one of the tastiest ways of taking medicinals! =) Above is my third cup of Fruit Felicity tea. The herbs in the blend are excellent for treating a cold. I love this picture. A frosty window + a steamy cup of tea = comfort and happiness.


 I was talking to Mom this afternoon when I suddenly exclaimed and startled her. =) She thought something was wrong. What I saw was one of the best things there could be. I found sunshine on the wall!!!


The moment I saw it, I was desperate beyond all reason. I HAD to get in that spot. Now. No matter how much I stretched, though, I couldn't bring my 4'11" frame up to that spot. So I grabbed a step stool!

And I climbed up...

...And I saw it!!! 

I saw THE SUN.


I cannot begin to express the wonder of that moment. Seventy days... It is ever so long to miss something your being needs so much. That first glow does something special to your heart. That sweet brightness enters your eyes and floods your soul with happiness. Its warmth crawls from your face to your toes and makes you tingle all over.

Anyway, after a full ten seconds of basking rapturously in the goodness streaming from the sun, my mom wanted her turn. =D The rest of the family was alerted of the sun's return and everyone had their chance to soak in the glorious rays.

It seems too wonderful to be true. It's really back. The long, dark days of winter are behind us.

The sun has returned to our land.


Truly  T H E  L I G H T  is sweet, 
and a pleasant thing it is 
for the eyes to  b e h o l d  T H E   S U N  

{ Ecclesiastes 11:7 }

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow~ I can't imagine living in the dark for 70 days- without the sun! It makes me feel bad when I complain I haven't seen it for two days! I can definitely imagine what seeing the sun after so long could feel like. It must have been awesome!
Today was a 'bitterly' cold day in MI, 15 degrees. :-D
Laura