Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Trip Up the Beach, Part 1

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5

One gorgeous Arctic summer day, my dad, sister and I took a trip. We finally found an opportunity to travel around forty miles up the beach of the Arctic Ocean to "see the sights." Nearly a hundred years ago, the ancestors of the Eskimo people in our village lived in another community. Their houses were made of driftwood and sod and they lived entirely off the land. I can't express the wonder of seeing firsthand these remains of Eskimo history. The Lord truly blessed our little journey -- and He gave me a beautiful day for capturing these timeless scenes, besides!

The temperature was around 50 degrees so, with the additional chilliness of the sea air rushing past us as we drove along, we found it necessary to bundle up as if it was winter. Our ride was not exactly a comfortable one. Three to a four-wheeler made for a tight squeeze, and the one riding hindermost was placed in a most awkward position, with legs stretched out and feet dangling over the tires. My sister and I switched places every twenty minutes or so relieve the other. Even so, we were quite sore the following day. =) But all in all we had a very enjoyable trip!


The colors of autumn had appeared on the tundra. This land has a beauty all its own.


There were still bits of green here and there.


Snow fences which prevent snow sweeping out of the expanseless tundra from burying our little village. They are as high as a house!

We traveled the few miles of dirt road from our village to the dump, and then drove through the dump to reach the beach. Not very pleasant, but evidently it is the path most traveled.


Isn't it hideous? This humongous starfish was twice the size of my hand. No, thanks, I don't think I'll take you home with me. =)  


About twenty minutes of traveling up the beach brought us to two cabins, one built recently and the other not-so-recently.



Made of driftwood (as there are no trees within a hundred miles), this dwelling looks as though it could be toppled over by the slightest wind. Yet it has withstood the fiercest blizzards of nearly a century. What an incredible little structure!


Can you believe people used to live in this little house!? It looked so tiny and cramped inside, I didn't think I could even fit! Evidently it has sunk into the ground quite a bit.


The back view of the house.


Beautiful autumn foliage. You have to look a little harder to find it, but it's there!


(sigh) So beautiful. I once thought the tundra was absolutely without beauty. It's flat and empty and I miss trees! But God opened my eyes to its unique design. Its wide open space makes me feel so free.

The mounds you see are where other houses used to be. The one in the pictures above is the only one left standing.


Dad walking towards the mounds.


There are still impressions in the ground where the houses used to be. As you can see, the water to the left is a lagoon connecting to the ocean.


I believe this is a cellar. Only three or four feet beneath the surface of the tundra, the ground is permanently frozen; it is called permafrost. The people still use cellars here in the village to store meat.


Whale rib bones. They are massive.


AUGGGGH! What is that creature staring down at me!?!



Why, it's just a little siksrik! (I didn't scare you, did I?) He sure is a cute little fella.

I have many, many more pictures of this trip to share with you. Look for Part 2 soon!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed seeing all the pictures, Naomi! I also really appreaciate when you post about the history of the people you and your family are missionaries to.:) I'm looking forward to part 2.:)

Nancy M. said...

Just came by for a visit from Journal for Women
I love the beautiful pictures of your corner of the world..Oh my they take my breath away...
God has put you in a special place.
Im in a ladies circle that does things for our missionaries and admire each and every one.
Thank you for your part.
Have a lovely day....Mrs.M.

Naomi Ungry said...

Mrs. M,

Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures of my little corner of the world. God has been so good to me.

I just took a peek at your lovely blog and will look forward to visiting again.

God bless you!

Naomi

Lauralea said...

Breathtakingly GORGEOUS! I can't imagine living in a house of driftwood!