Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Trip Up the Beach, Part 3

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5



The Ahmaogak family's cabin. It was built recently and is used often when people are caribou hunting. The family allows my Dad and brother to stay there when they are on hunting trips which lasts several days.


This looks so much a dandelion gone to seed, but it's much larger.


It couldn't have been a more gorgeous day! I'm so grateful the Lord gave us such amazing weather. I got some pictures that I'd always dreamed of capturing! 





This sand dune was absolutely beautiful!


Looking upon the village.


I met another siksrik. (Isn't that grass vibrant? Yellow, orange, red, even shades of purple and blue. We do get autumn colors!)


He wasn't as playful or curious as the other little guy. =)


The school building.


You can still see some of the red paint from bygone days. What a cheerful little place it must have been! (Hmm, I wonder how that piece of driftwood got all the way up there...)


Looking inside.



The front portion is what we call a kunichuk or Arctic entry. It helps to keep the brunt of the cold weather from the main part of the house.


Isn't it beautiful?


Now, that is what you call a soddy. It's literally a mound of tundra! Can you imagine living in that all winter???


 I love this picture. What incredible scope!


The schoolhouse again. 


A cellar.


The ocean is just beyond that rise. If ever you are lost on the tundra, you can always tell which direction the ocean is -- there are always dark clouds over the ocean, even on the clearest of days.

 

There are still more pictures. Hope you're enjoying this peek into my world!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are breathtaking pictures! I could look at them all day long :).

L.J. Jones said...

Beautiful, Naomi! Wow! It makes me want to come see it for real!

Naomi Ungry said...

I wish you could, too, Lydia! =) I'm sure you would get some REALLY, magnificently grand photos of it with that great camera of yours! Right now, however, the tundra isn't quite as pretty as what you see in the pictures... not much out there but wind-swept snow. =D

Naomi Ungry said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying the pictures, Mrs. Fink!

Unknown said...

I too am enjoying the pictures, Naomi! The Lord has really blessed you with a good eye! Thanks for sharing these pictures!

I finally sent an email your way!:)Thank you for your patience. I had not forgotten but, somehow time flies by so quickly in between the time you open an email to the time you finally answer it! I'm so sorry about that!

Anyways....Have a lovely week! Lord bless you, friend!:)