Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Trip Up the Beach, Part 2

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
 

Shall we continue our adventure? =)


It really isn't any wonder that the big fish God made was able to swallow Jonah whole. These rib bones are from a bowhead whale, and they're nothing compared to the great blue whale. The Lord sure made some huge critters! (The thing sticking up from Dad's back is a rifle, by the way. Never, ever roam the tundra without it!)



This cute little guy was so friendly! My family has a cat named Duchess and my sisters and I always talk kitty-baby-talk to her. (I know, poor thing.) So my sister Emily and I started coaxing this little siksrik as if it were our precious kitty -- and did it ever respond. =D


"Hmm, those girls really seem to like me. I think I'll sneak a little closer."


And it kept waddling closer and closer! It seemed to really love the attention we gave it.


Awwwww! Wouldn't it make a great pet?


"Be sure to get my good side." A more photogenic siksrik I've never met.


Our little friend finally got bored with our conversation and scampered away.



I am going to prove with this picture that I have a very low IQ. See that hole in the side of the hill? What is it? My thoughts exactly. I literally stuck my head down in there... and now I could kick myself because that, in all likeliness, is an animal den! And whatever animal lived there just happened to be away at the time. My dad (up on the hill) had his gun but that little experience was just way too close for comfort.

We saw just about all there was to see in that area so we hopped back onto the four-wheeler and continued down the beach.


(sigh) Isn't it grand!!!


Our final destination -- the old village. Nearly a dozen drift-wood structures still stand on this little plot of tundra.


The remnants of Eskimo history. (This has got to be one of my favorite pictures from the trip!)


These two houses must have been considered quite the thing in their day. They look much sturdier than the others.



We showed these pictures to two ladies, Maak and Cora, who came to church a few weeks ago. They enjoyed seeing them so much as they had not been to the old village in many, many years. Maak told us that this was the school building. It was once painted all in red, she said. The back half of the building has decayed much more quickly than the rest.


Part 3 should be up within a few days!

No comments: