Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Trip Up the Beach, Part 4

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5


Off to continue exploring the tundra! We brought a bucket to use for picking berries but unfortunately there weren't many berries in the area.


A ducky couple


I tried to get a closer shot but they were off before I knew it. I still managed to get a great photo, however!




Cotton grass grows in abundance.


Mmm, a delicious akpik (salmonberry). They're very high in vitamin C. And they're so juicy!

Pretty pink mushrooms


Fascinating moss


A wide angle shot of the old village from the opposite side of the lake.


There's the "little red schoolhouse on the tundra"! =)



It's amazing how much driftwood washes up on the beach. I wonder where it all comes from? Canada, Russia... Neat to think about.


That is SO bright and beautiful. God sure made some amazing colors.


(See our four-wheeler?) The water is so calm and peaceful in this picture. I love being out on the tundra. I could sit right on this spot of soft, springy tundra for hours upon hours... and simply drink the beautiful quiet in... (sigh)


Yum! Don't you just want to pop it in your mouth? =D


We had little luck in finding akpiks but we did pick a nice amount of cranberries. I was able to make a tiny jar of scrumptious cranberry jelly like I remember enjoying so much several years ago when we lived in Ft. Yukon. Mrs. Audrey's cranberry jelly on pilot bread crackers... that's the stuff memories are made of. =)




Aww, aren't they cute? =D



Caribou antlers


I have about one more post's-worth of pictures left to share with you. We went to see an old ship wreck that my brother had always talked about. I think you'll like them. =)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, those leaves were simply beautiful! Such radiant colors! The creation truly declares the glory of our Lord!

Thank you for another interesting and enjoyable post!:) I thought of you and your family this last weekend, as our family went to the snow.:) Lord bless you!