Friday, March 4, 2011

A Trip Up the Beach, Part 5

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5


Birch bark! Evidently durable stuff to have survived a watery journey from a distant land. =)


Dad always takes a hand-held VHF radio whenever he's outside the village. Here he's standing on a dune trying to get a signal.


This picture reminds me of Ezekiel 3:17, "Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me." Praise God, my dad has done that faithfully for nearly thirteen years as we have served the Lord in Alaska!



My sister beach combing. =D


Looking up the beach towards the village. There's been a lot of traffic, as you can see. Everyone enjoys driving along the beach during the summer.


And looking the other direction.


Wow, the ocean was spectacular that day. Usually it is very gray and placid. The Lord blessed me!



Our sand isn't white like most beaches. In some places the beach is actually black from tons of coal that washes up on the shore. Evidently there are many coal mines in the area. By the way, just thirty miles or so out there is a rich source of oil. Shell has been trying several years to get a lease for offshore drilling. We pray it will happen. It certainly would help our country's oil prices! =)




Still hunting for shells.


And we're off again! We drove another ten miles or so and then traveled inland a bit until we reached...


The old shipwreck! This is what remains of a large whaling ship that sailed the Chukchi Sea, on the hunt for whales. I've heard a few stories about how this ship wrecked but can't recall the details. This ship sailed in the day when whale blubber was boiled down into oil and used for lamps. My family recently watched Moby Dick, made in 1956, for the first time. Amazing! I think it could be stated, "Animals were harmed in the making of this film." =D


A pretty jellyfish. I was so excited to see one for the first time!


We waded out to see the ship closer.



My sister and I have identical pink rubber boots. Aren't they cute? (chuckle)

It was such an exciting, fun-filled day. The return drive to the village was the icing on the cake. As we flew along the beach on the four-wheeler, I was more awed by the ocean than ever. I can't explain it -- somehow, at the speed we were driving, it was as if all of the waves crashing on the beach were connected, like one endless swirl of sea. It was dizzying to watch! And it was so beautiful. Before long some dark clouds began rolling in, darkening the sky. I was glad we departed when we did.

Well, my readers, all good things must come to an end. I hope you've enjoyed these pictures of our beautiful tundra and Arctic Ocean. I know I'm blessed to live in such a special place! My dad and brother have talked me into joining them this spring when they go goose hunting. If it works out, I'll definitely have some more pictures of this amazing land to share with you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm enjoying the pictures, Naomi! Have a great Sunday!:)