Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My First Knitted Shawl

For years I have had a fancy to shawls. They are simply unpopular nowadays; for this reason, my attention has always been drawn to movies or pictures of graceful ladies of the Colonial days wearing warm, handmade shawls which were commonplace of their time. Ever since I learned to knit a little over a year ago, a shawl project has been in the back of my mind. Three weeks ago, once I received a bunch of yarn I'd ordered online, I printed out a lovely pattern and got my needles flying.

I struggled a bit as I began, learning some new terms and techniques, but once I got the pattern down I made good progress. That is, until I ran out of room on my needles! Oh horror! I had a feeling, when I started, that such a predicament would betide. My fat, stubby needles just didn't seem right, especially since the finishing number of stitches would be one hundred seventy-one. It took some finagling. My goal was to temporarily hold stitches on a longer needle, but getting them on there was roundabout because of problems with direction. To do this, I had four needles of three different sizes in service. It was interesting. =D

Anyhow, after three weeks of mixed enjoyment and confusion, I was overcome with gladness to at last have the warm, beautiful shawl for which I had long desired. It's very light and uncumbersome, falling naturally about my shoulders. I even wear it with my winter gear when I go outside, just pulling it on top of my head and wrapping it around my face. It keeps me toasty even in the chilling, gusty wind. I love it!!!

PATTERN DETAILS

Title: Easy Triangle Shawl (and here is the same pattern with a different photo)
Yarn: Lion Brand Homespun
Color: Shaker

2 comments:

Naomi Ungry said...

Transferred from my previous blog

Miss Mouse said...

I LOVE it, Naomi!!! You did a beautiful job!!! Such a pretty shawl for a pretty girl--from the inside out! =)

Now, if there was only some way you could teach me... =)

Love you, friend!

Hannah

Naomi Ungry said...

Thank you, Hannah. =) I wish I could make you one and send it to you!!! A shawl would be simply perfect with your Colonial dress.

You really should try to learn to knit, Hannah! It is so much fun and the results are extremely rewarding. Learning isn't too difficult when you have very detailed instructions with good pictures. The hardest part is being patient with yourself as you learn. =) Boy, I wish I could hop over to your house and teach you myself. Wouldn't that be so much fun?

Love,

Naomi