Saturday, July 4, 2009

America

Devotional by Pastor Willard Thomas; from Baptist Bread

Psalm 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen...

Much more exciting than a fireworks display is the untold story of the Christian influence on the Declaration of Independence and the Fourth of July. In 1773, a growing feeling about British domination erupted so that, as the news was being celebrated, in the colonies they began to proclaim, "Death is better than slavery! A freeborn people are not required by the religion of Jesus Christ to submit to tyranny," and the word went up and down the colonies, "No king but Jesus!" "No book but the Bible!"

In 1776, the Continental Congress was in the greatest debate of all about the rise of this new nation. The representative from Pennsylvania stood to speak against independence. John Adams sat in silence until the representative finished; then he rose and said, "Before God, I believe the hour has come. My judgment approves this measure, and my whole heart is in it. All that I have, and all that I am, and all that I hope in this life, I am now ready here to stake upon it. And I leave off as I began, that live or die, survive or perish, I am for the Declaration. It is my living sentiment, and by the blessing of God it shall be my dying sentiment. Independence now, and Independence forever!"

Leviticus 25:10a And ye shall... proclaim liberty thoughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof:...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much your encouraging words! I really appreciate them!

Do you still have the button that you created? Unfortunately, my copy was deleted before I could get to the library to download it (my internet connection does not download files well). Could you send it to me again? Thanks so much!

Elizabeth J. said...

Hello there, this is my first visit to your blog. I arrived here from Becca's blog. Feel welcome to drop by my blogspot sometime.