Thursday, September 3, 2009

I Am a Scripturalist

Devotional by Evangelist Tim Green

II Tim. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

"A what?" Don't worry; you read it right. I am a scripturalist. No, I am not starting a new denomination or fellowship. We have a plethora of those already.

"What is a scripturalist?" It's what I want to be. It's the inner urging of my redeemed soul and transformed mind. (My flesh isn't too interested.) A scripturalist, according to Webster's 1828 dictionary, is "one who adheres literally to the Scriptures and makes them the foundation of all philosophy." That's it! I want--I intend--to adhere to "thus saith the LORD." The King James Bible, the one I hold in my hand, will be the Book that forms the bedrock of my belief, the touchstone of my thinking, the foundation of my faith and the cornerstone of my convictions. I long to live a life consistent with God's written Word. Yes, I am a scripturalist!

I trust that all of us will abide by the Bible and earnestly endeavor to live our lives according to God's Book. This old world doesn't deserve it (Heb. 11:36-38), but instead of being dim, flickering lights all but out in this dark world, may we be blazing torches in a blackened sky to help lead the blind to our Savior, Jesus Christ.

No comments: