Thursday, September 23, 2010

The First Snow

We are settling in for our long winter's nap. The darkness of winter is slowly creeping into our bright days. We saw the moon for the first time yesterday evening. It was a full moon and the clouds all about it were glowing and shimmering. My God is wonderful!


O give thanks unto the LORD
for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
To him who alone doeth great wonders: for his mercy endureth for ever.
To him that by wisdom made the heavens: for his mercy endureth for ever.
To him that made great lights...
The sun to rule by day...
The moon 
and stars to rule by night: 
for his mercy endureth for ever.

{ Psalm 136:1, 4-5, 7-9 }

Last week, as I was studying the calendar, I thought aloud, "You know, I just reckon that we'll get our first snow on the day autumn begins." Our summer dragged on long past the usual date for freeze-up. When that happens, you can't help feeling a bit anxious. Your body is ready for the cold weather to hit (like a locomotive! =D), but it doesn't come.

Well, today is September 23, the first official day of autumn.

We got our first snow last night... a beautiful little dusting. (sigh)  The air is so brisk, clean, and refreshing. The dark, colorless dirt is covered by a blanket of soft white. I am glad it is here.

For he saith to the snow,
Be thou on the earth;

{ Job 37:6 }


Ha! I was right! What are the odds of that happening?

So, which is it? The first day of autumn... or the first day of winter? =D It is surely our first day of winter--the first day of MANY days of winter. I welcome it today but I am certain I will be just as happy (if not more so) to bid it farewell come May. =)

No comments: