Friday, December 10, 2010

Do You Hear What I Hear?

I apologize for neglecting to share weekly Scripture songs in the recent weeks. To make up for the weeks I've lost (and will be losing) I'd like to share some of my favorite Christmas songs instead. May they bless your heart as they do mine! =)

(P.S. I don't like the concluding "Catholic" pictures in this video, so pretend the picture at the end of the post is the one you're seeing in the video. =)


Said the night wind to the little lamb,
"Do you see what I see?
Way up in the sky, little lamb,
Do you see what I see?
A star, a star
Dancing in the night
With a tail as big as a kite,
With a tail as big as a kite."

Said the little lamb to the shepherd boy,
"Do you hear what I hear?
Ringing through the sky, shepherd boy,
Do you hear what I hear?
A song, a song
High above the trees
With a voice as big as the seas,
With a voice as big as the seas."

Said the shepherd boy to the mighty king,
"Do you know what I know?
In your palace warm, mighty king,
Do you know what I know?
A Child, a Child
Shivers in the cold,
Let us bring Him silver and gold,
Let us bring Him silver and gold."

Said the king to the people everywhere,
"Listen to what I say,
Pray for peace, people everywhere.
Listen to what I say.
The Child, the Child
Sleeping in the night,
He will bring us goodness and light,
He will bring us goodness and light."

Written by Noel Regency
Sung by Bing Cosby


The Nativity by Gerard van Honthorst

Can you imagine the absolute joy and wonder of that holy night? God chose to share it with simple shepherds. I don't think anyone else could have possibly grasped the fullness of it... that God came down to earth in the form of a little Baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great song...just a quick question...what is wrong with the "Catholic" pictures at the end? And why do you refer to them as Catholic?

Thanks!

Naomi Ungry said...

Well, I refer to the pictures as "Catholic" because stained-glass windows/paintings/statues of Christ in Catholic churches usually portray Him as having long hair. I Corinthians 11:14 says, "Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" The Lord certainly would not oppose His own Word by deed! Furthermore, the hair style of men during the time period of Christ was a short and clean cut (think: Roman emperors). Hence, my term "Catholic" to the portrayal of our Savior with long hair.

ALSO =), I don't care for one of the ending pictures because it "enshrines" or even idolizes Mary by its appearance.

You may or may not agree with my beliefs, and I understand that. I simply felt led to state them in a straightforward manner. I have no intention to be offensive. =)

Sincerely,

Naomi