Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Prayer Request & A Birthday

My dad and brother are currently away in Fairbanks. They flew down for a men's retreat hosted by Bible Baptist Church. They had a wonderful time of fellowship and fun at the retreat and are attending to various things in town for their remainder of their stay. Among other things, doctor appointments for my dad. We originally thought it was a torn rotator cuff. We learned today that we were right. However, we never expected things to be this bad. My dad will need complete shoulder reconstruction. The doctor said there are five different serious problems with his shoulder:

  • Two rotator cuffs severed
  • Biceps tendon totally demolished (shredded)
  • Calcium build-up on collar bone
  • Spurs under bone joint
  • Pillow under joint ruined by spurs

My poor daddy! =( We are in the midst of making plans for his surgery and the other details involved. If you think to, please keep my family in your prayers. It's not easy to work out these things when you live so far away from "civilization." Pray for my dad's surgery and his lengthy recovery (one year, the doctor said). Our Savior is still the Great Physician!

Now that I've depressed everyone (chuckle) I have some happy news to share. Today is my brother's birthday! My "little" Timmy is sixteen years old today. I'm having a hard time believing that. Where does time go? We had an early birthday celebration for my brother last week. Our good friend Bro. Van Sickle was in town for his two-week job shift so he was able to join us for my brother's "early birthday." We like to have him over for dinner once during his shift. It's always such a blessing to have company! When you're isolated, you soak up good fellowship like a dried out sponge. =) After a delicious meal of lasagna and Parmesan garlic breadsticks, we let my brother open his presents.


The happy birthday boy! =) Bro. Van Sickle is standing in the background.


My brother is a WWII history buff. He especially loves aviation (and wants to be a pilot). So, he's mighty pleased when he gets anything that has to do with WWII for his birthday.



Bro. Van Sickle and my parents. Though we're so isolated, the Lord has always sent folks our ways just when we needed some encouragement. He is so good!


My brother got really excited over his presents. My dad has been helping him build a tool chest. He got tools last Christmas and more for his birthday. He knows how to use them, too! Dad has trained him well.


The "cool tools," as my dad calls them. =)


Outside putting those tools to good use with Dad. It's difficult for them to work on things outside during the winter -- without gloves! Lord willing, we will be building a garage for the church vehicle this summer.



Putting his toys away. =D Isn't that a great-looking tool chest? My dad said he didn't even have anything that good when he got married. You can see evidence of my brother's interest in WWII by the looks of his room. He designed that six-footer battleship, made completely out of construction paper. He found the patterns for the airplane models on the Internet. He's always busy on one model or another!


My brother is growing up to be such a fine young man and I am SO happy. He's thoughtful, respectful, hard-working, super talented. Best of all, he loves the Lord and wants to live his life for Him. The Lord has given me such a great brother; I am so grateful. 

Happy birthday, brother of mine!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my~ I'll be praying for you all! I hope you Daddy is able to get alot of rest and strength during the next few days!

Happy Belated Birthday to Timmy! Our Timmy's birthday is coming up this Thursday. It's amazing how time flies!~ Just yesterday they were babies!

I'll be praying for the surgery and planning! Lord bless and especially strengthen you all! Please know you will be in our family's prayers. Love in Christ!!:)