Saturday, June 30, 2012

Busy and Blessed...

Psalm 90:12 instructs us, "So teach us to number our days, that we might apply our hearts unto wisdom." Wisdom is an outlet we all need to tap into. There are many sources of wisdom, but not all wisdom is true wisdom. The wisdom that will never disappoint, that will never mislead, that will always be attainable, is from above. The God of wisdom is rich to give this wisdom to us if we but ask. "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." (James 1:5)

Sometimes it is essential to choose between what is good and what is best, and that is the quandary I am currently facing. What is a girl to do when there are so many tasks to accomplish yet not enough time to do it all? Seek wisdom. Seek God.

God's wisdom is what I am seeking as I number my days and minutes, ticking away one by one as I near the time of yet another departure. Forty-eight days remain before I return to Oklahoma: city living, dorm life, classes, assignments, and masses of people. And enriching ministry opportunities, precious friends and mentors, Spirit-filled preaching, new learning experiences, and so much more.

It is a difficult transition, traveling from my home in Alaska, secluded, isolated, and familiar, to my new life in the Lower 48, brimming with new experiences and people who are becoming ever more dear to me. Living in two completely different worlds is not easy, but God's grace is all-sufficient! Wherever He chooses to place me at whatever time, I want to be all there. Like Jim Elliot, I want to live to the hilt every situation that I know to be God's will for me. This is the key to a truly fulfilled and successful life for God -- not sighing for the future nor longing after the past but embracing today and God's sweet will with ultimate joy! With God, my friends, it is a wonderful life, indeed.

I don't know what the future holds: what I will be doing after I graduate, exactly what type of ministry God will place me in, how long my season of singleness will last, who I will someday marry, where I will be living, and other large-ish questions many people approach me with. Naturally, people are curious about my future. Guess what? So am I! (chuckle) God hasn't given me the answers to those questions. If I had those answers, I would have no reason to trust in Him. And, if given the choice, I would rather keep step with my God while leaning upon my Beloved's strong arm than to know every step that lies before me.

I am content. My life is rich! My days abound with new opportunities and people to invest in. Today is more than enough. I know that the Lord has hallmarked "one day" on my path with the hope of a joyful union of my life with a man of God, but marriage is not my ultimate goal; that is not what my eyes are fixed upon. I have huge desires to serve God in big ways, to make my life truly count in eternity, but how I serve God with my life is not my decision to make; it is His.

All I know is that right now, I am called to be single and to love God with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength. He is to be the chief expression of all that I am and the all-consuming passion for all that I do. I am patiently running this race with eternity, entrusting my weighty cares to God, and I am ever "looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of [my] faith," who gives me joy as He endured with joy.

The Lord has given me a wonderful family; I am loving every moment I get to spend with them this summer, for I realize that our remaining time to be a family is very brief. God has blessed me with an incredibly busy and fulfilled summer to the brim with opportunities to be salt and light, to share the Gospel with boldness and compassion, to live out Christ's life in me. I couldn't ask for more than what God has already given me. And why He has given me so much, I'll never know. All I can do is return to Him a very small portion of the love and life He has lavished on me... all the day, every day, as long as I live!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Now that was a beautiful read. I needed to hear this today that as I look toward the near future with longing, I need to be here and now and serving God with a happy heart where I am.

Naomi Ungry said...

Praise the Lord! So glad you were encouraged.

A Joyful Heart said...

Yes, thank you Naomi for sharing this post with us! You are an encouragement through your writings.