Monday, September 22, 2008

My Lovely Purple Skirt


I was very pleased with the outcome of my first sewing project. My mom helped me with this project step-by-step; I'm ever so thankful. =) I'm unable to go store-shopping because the village we live in is isolated, so I had to make do with ordering my pattern and fabric online. Upon receiving the cotton material, a dark purple, I was surprised in that it was a few shades lighter than I was expecting. Thankfully the color isn't too overwhelming; it looks darker in this photo than it actually is. As for the pattern -- it was excellent! So simple and so pretty! Full, long, flowing, very modest and very becoming. The pattern is first cut into four pieces, then they are sewn together, elastic is put in the waist, and finally the hem is sewn. It took me and my mom over four hours to complete the skirt; it could have been finished in less time, but we had some difficulty with cutting the pattern to fit my height.

I've found that, as with any other creative handwork, I greatly enjoy sewing. I very much look forward to developing this useful skill.

PATTERN DETAILS
Copyright: Simplicity

1 comment:

Naomi Ungry said...

Transferred from my previous blog

Miss Mouse said...

I love it, Naomi! Very nice! I can't wait to start my own sewing project. Maybe it will happen this winter...if I'm lucky. =D