Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Princess Adelina

Book written by Julie Sutter

I found this book extremely enjoyable and encouraging--but to an extent. While the old English style of language was interesting and helped transport me into the book's time setting, at times I found it difficult to discern the message the author wished to convey. Often I found the story did not flow due to choice of writing style. I also believed a few instances in the book were too detailed and detracted from the Godliness and purity of this precious story.

A huge problem I had with this book was concerning Bible doctrine. The missionaries in this book were said historically to be from the church of Iona in Ireland. This church trained believers in the Word and sent them out as missionaries. This church was Baptist and firm in Bible doctrine. I recognized all of the Baptist distinctives in practice by the people within the book, although of their baptism by immersion I am unsure. Also, there were a few strange and unbiblical customs these people held to. It is my assumption that either the historical account of these missionaries was thwarted, or the record was indeed accurate and they had departed from sound Bible doctrine.

Aside from these important points, the book was excellent. I wish the book would have been true to the Word of God. If so, I have no doubt this book would be one of my favorites. It was not blatantly unscriptural so, overall, I rate it fairly high. That aside, I shall now begin my narrative of the book's lovely and heartening story.

The Princess Adelina is a retold account of true people and events, taking place in Thuringia, Germany during the eight century. Adelina is a missionary's daughter faced with a crucial choice, one which will affect the liberty of the believer's to worship God. So they may freely serve the Lord, Adelina chooses to marry the young pagan herzog (king or ruler), Hedan. A true Esther of her day, Adelina accepts the position in which God chooses to place her and use her life, at peace despite her impending danger and distress. God rewards her courage to obey and blesses many through her steadfastness.

Adelina finds the Hedan's mother Geila to be a fierce enemy. Geila is determined to drive Christianity out of Thurgania and wastes no time in harassing Adelina. She cruelly plots against Adelina and slanders her virtuous name, humiliating her at every turn. Adelina looks to God for strength in her persecution, certainly afraid but not enslaved by terror. Her life shines brightly as a beacon in the darkness of evil. Humble and caring, Adelina reaches out to the servants beneath her, sharing the Gospel with all those around her, and is a loving and faithful wife to her husband. She leads many to the Savior and is used greatly of God.

In time, Hedan's love for Adelina wans and unrestrained jealousy takes its place. Hedan must enter battle, so he restores his mother Geila to her prior position as queen. With Hedan gone, there is nothing to restrain Geila from attacking Adelina even more fiercely. In danger of her very life, Adelina flees with the aid of faithful servants who are believers.

While in battle, Hedan is gravely wounded and left for dead. A peasant man who is a Christian finds him, takes him to his home, and restores him back to health. Hedan receives Christ as his Savior and is made a new creature in Him.

Not knowing to whence Adelina has fled, Hedan searches desperately for his bride. After many months the two are reunited, and Adelina rejoices that Hedan has been gloriously saved from his sin. Peace is at last restored to the kingdom and they lived happily ever after.

Adelina's life of virtue and faith is a shining example in this day of disdain upon Godly meekness, modesty, and femininity with true strength. This ancient, actual tale of a brave and beautiful princess who lived centuries ago is thrilling and inspiring even today, proclaiming salvation and liberty in glory to the Savior of ruined mankind.

Read more reviews of this book at PrincessAdelina.com.

3 comments:

Randy Furco said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Naomi,
I'm glad you enjoyed Princess Adelina, and I really enjoyed your review. My family discovered and edited this book to have it republished by Vision Forum. We are posting reviews at our own website, http://princessadelina.com and would love to include yours with a link back to your original post. May we?
Also, I'm curious to know what practices you found strange or objectionable. Do you care to elaborate?

Naomi Ungry said...

KimC,

Thanks for your kind comment. I would be very happy to share my review with others on your website. I understand you are responsible for getting this great book republished, so I would love to take this opportunity to thank you personally. I appreciate what you have done to make it possible for me to read The Princess Adelina.

You asked what exactly I found objectionable in the book. Foremost, I did not find a clear presentation of the Gospel: belief and trust in Christ's finished work on the cross and the receiving of God's gift of salvation through faith, (Rom. 10:9-10). Because of this I had difficulty discerning the people's motive for baptism in the book, either for those saved by God's grace as an expression of faith and obedience to the Lord's command, or as a false means for salvation by works. I believe an unmistakable statement of such important Biblical truths is imperative in Christian literature. Also, how baptism was performed was indiscernible--whether in accordance with God's Word by immersion (Acts 8:36-39), or unbiblically by sprinkling or such. Again, this is most important.

There were a few other small things I disagreed with. I simply didn't find any distinction of why certain customs were upheld. I do understand many things were according to their time in history. I'm certain every effort was made to be historically accurate.

I believed the descriptions of pagan practices in the book were too explicit, especially for young readers.

As I stated in my review, I enjoyed the book a great deal; I was greatly encouraged by this true story. I really hate to be critical, but when it comes to the written Word of God we must be faithful, both in proclaiming it and in defending it.

Thanks so much for bearing with me. =)

In the Fairest of ten thousand,

Naomi U.