Monday, May 4, 2009

Flourishing Old Age


Psalms 92:12-15 The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Those that be planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing; To shew that the LORD is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.

The roses that my dad gave to my mom a few days shy of one month ago have long since withered. We haven't had the heart to throw them out, so I reckoned I could just trim them down and arrange them in a smaller vase. As I studied them in appreciation, I realized how truly beautiful their rich, deep colors were, much like the garb of autumn. How good the Lord is to cause these gorgeous works of His creation, rarely enjoyed by my family, to last for such a long time. As I continued my arranging, I was delightfully surprised to behold a new little sprig of greenness flourishing from the stem of a rose in its old age. The Lord immediately brought this passage to my mind and heart.

Though the body may wither with the wear of years, if  the spirit abides always in Him, a dear aged saint can be filled with life and the power of His might. They can thrive and unceasingly bring forth fruit for God's glory. There is a great need for us younger folk to appreciate the high value of such dear aged saints, still keepin' on for the Lord Jesus. We could hardly do better than to emulate their loving, devoted hearts upon which the fire of God still burns brightly.

No comments: