Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Name I Highly Treasure

And she shall bring forth a son
and thou shalt call his name JESUS
for he shall save his people from their sins.

{ Matthew 1:21 }


His name is Savior.  In one word, in the purest and sweetest of names, His entire purpose for coming to the earth is made known to the guilty sinner.  Jesus came to die a cruel death so that He could save us from our sins. Christ died for us even “while we were yet sinners” (Rom. 5:8).  He came not to save us in our sins; He does not merely save and leave us to remain under the power of sin. He came to absolutely deliver us from our sins. JESUS came to completely save from all that can destroy the spirit! By atoning Himself for the sins we committed, Jesus destroyed the power of and condemnation for sin. "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death." (Rom. 8:1-2) Praise God!

The way He made to redeem sinners is complete and permanent; nothing on earth, in hell, or in heaven “shall separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Rom. 8:39)  Since He is the One who purchased our salvation, He alone can do all of the saving.  Sinners could never do anything that could take the place of Jesus’ finished payment.  Salvation is received through the power God gives by simply believing on the name of JESUS, the Savior. "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name" (John 1:12).

In centuries past, many hymns have been written by dear kindred souls in the Lord, precious hymns about the Name of Jesus. Precious Name -- How Sweet the Name of Jesus Sounds -- Jesus Is the Sweetest Name I Know -- The Name of Jesus -- I Know of a Name -- O How I Love Jesus -- Jesus! Wonderful Name! --The Great Physician -- Jesus! Jesus! Jesus! The people who wrote these timeless words had discovered the matchless worth of the most wonderful of names; they had sought and found Jesus. They knew Him and walked with Him. Through the Word and prayer, He manifested the rich, sweet fullness of His Name to them.

Although each name of God is precious to my soul as it reveals a deeper knowledge of Him, truly no name can mean more to me than the name of JESUS, my blessed Savior.  If I did not know that name, the hundreds of others which He shows me in His Word would mean nothing.  If I knew not the name of Jesus, I would be yet in my sins, for the power to save my sinful soul comes by that Name and no other! 

Neither is there salvation in any other
for there is none other name under heaven 
given among men, whereby we must be saved. 

{ Acts 4:12 }


My Jesus, I rejoice to know Thou art mine, and I love Thee. Oh, my Savior, how can I make known what You have revealed to me? Truly, "Weak is the effort of my heart, And cold my warmest thought; But when I see Thee as Thou art, I’ll praise Thee as I ought." (John Newton) Show them as You have shown me, Lord.

A Name I Highly Treasure by Oscar C. Eliason
    I've learned to know a name I highly treasure,
    O how it thrills my spirit through and through!
    O precious name, beyond degree or measure,
    O wondrous name of Him so kind and true!

      My heart is stirred when e'er I think of Jesus,
      That blessed name which sets the captive free,
      The only name through which I find salvation;
      No name on earth has meant so much to me.
       
    That name brings gladness to a soul in sorrow,
    It makes life's shadows and its clouds depart,
    Brings strength in weakness for today, tomorrow,
    That names brings healing to an aching heart.

    That name still lives and will live on forever,
    While kings and kingdoms will forgotten be;
    Through mist and rain, 'twill be beclouded never,
    That name shall shine and shine eternally.
In the photos: Blossoms on a tree, name unknown, and a lovely Alaska wild rose perfectly back-lit by the summer sun

2 comments:

Ashley Sebo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ashley Sebo said...

Thank you So much for all your help with the music track! I really enjoy this blog!:)