Saturday, May 29, 2010

Greetings from Iowa!

My family and I have spent a cherished twelve days with my grandparents in Iowa. I can't express how sweet it is to spend hours chatting with my beautiful Grandma, hug her every morning when I first see her, help her in the kitchen, and even do one of my favorite things with her -- knitting! I feel as though I'm finally getting to really know my Grandpa and Grandma... As my love and appreciation for them grows, so does the ache in my heart as I realize we'll be separated soon.  It has also been wonderful to see my aunts, uncles, and cousins. Everyone, of course, makes the typical remark, "My, how you children have grown!" (chuckle) Three years makes a lot of difference.

God has been too good to me. In the past three weeks that we have been out, I have been so refreshed and recharged by encouraging fellowship with folks who have supported my family in prayer for so many years. I keep thinking, "Our furlough is only beginning!" I can't tell you too many times that God has been so good.

We have met with but few minor incidents along the near 4,000 miles of highways. However, we have faced one major injury -- a broken collarbone, in fact. My brother, a week ago Monday, was running out to our vehicle in the parking lot of a hotel in Wyoming when he slipped and badly hurt his right shoulder. What appeared most serious was a nasty scratch beside his right eye. His shoulder gave him considerable pain throughout the day but we thought all would soon be well as we would be arriving at Grandma's that evening.

He did seem to improve throughout the week, but on Friday as he was opening a door, he was in sudden and excruciating pain. This happened just after my parents had left to spend two days in Omaha for their 25th anniversary. Timmy did not improve all day so, although we hated to interrupt my parents' special time, we called them up to tell them of Timmy's condition. They drove back, took Timmy to the emergency room, and discovered that he broke his collarbone! Apparently he sustained a green fracture (I believe that is the term) when he fell to the cement at the hotel. Putting pressure on his shoulder when he opened the door completed the break. A few days later, he had surgery to have a metal plate and six screws inserted. (Oh, by the way, our vehicle broke down on the way there. That's another story.) He's feeling much better now that his bone is on the mend. Doctor Naomi (myself =) will be administering a comfrey poultice once the dressing is removed. I have read that it is the best thing for broken bones. The worst is over, thank the Lord, but please continue to keep my brother in prayer.

Unfortunately, we have had to cancel two meetings for this Sunday so Timmy can get rested up before traveling again. We plan to head out Monday or Tuesday for Indiana.

I hope to share photos now and then of memories I have made thus far into our furlough. I update my family's web album regularly; you can view it here: http://picasaweb.google.com/theungryfamily.

Thank you for your prayers for my family's safety as we travel in the States. He's shown in so many ways that He is in control through each mile and every day.

My soul hath them still in remembrance,
and is humbled in me.

This I recall to my mind,
therefore have I hope.

It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed,
because his compassions fail not.

They are new every morning:
great is thy faithfulness.

The LORD is my portion, saith my soul;
therefore will I hope in him.

The LORD is good unto them that wait for him,
to the soul that seeketh him.

It is good that a man should both
hope and quietly wait
for the salvation of the LORD.

{ Lamentations 3:20-26 }

1 comment:

Ashley Sebo said...

Hello Naomi!
thank you for posting from Iowa! It was so nice to find this update! Thanks for keeping us informed!:)

I'm so glad your having such a special time of fellowship and encouragement! I have been praying for you and your dear family that you would be refreshed and ready once again, for the precious work that awaits you all back at home!:)

Poor Timmy! We have had a few breaks in our family and some friends of ours have broken collarbones! Some of the gals at our church, as well as myself prayed for him last night in Prayer Meeting. Keep up the great care, "Nurse Naomi!" I can totally relate to that as anytime someone in our family is injured they call for "Nurse Ashbrown." I know your family and your brother, especially, appreciate all your loving work! Please let Timmy know he's in my prayers!:)

Thank you SO much for posting the link to the web album! I had actually already enjoyed their contents awhile ago!(I left several comments:) It was fun to "travel" with you all in a sense, and see your family enjoying special times! I loved those scenery photos! Beautiful!!:)

Amen to all you said about the Lord being good and faithful! That is SO true! His mercies are so great and His love is so perfect! He knows all we need and where we will fail, and He prepares us for what lies ahead in the right timing! Praise Him for His grace!

WWell, this comment has turned into a note but, I hope you will still enjoy it!:) Have a wonderful day! I'm keeping you in my prayers, Naomi!!