Thursday, March 24, 2011

Librivox Audiobooks

Lately I have been listening to audiobooks from Librivox.org. My first delightful experience with the method of audible reading was listening to Louisa May Alcott's Under the Lilacs. Oh, what a cute little book! It is a wonderful story about Ben, Betty, Bab, and Miss Celia, among others. They learn important lessons about being a faithful friend and helping those in need -- and doing so generously. They face terrible hardships and losses but come smiling through. What fun times they have together; what heroic adventures! Any child would be delighted to listen to this wonderful book full of merriment and interesting happenings. More "grown up" people who enjoy the company and the tales of children (such as myself =) would equally enjoy the experience, I'm sure.

Upon my completion of Under the Lilacs, I was ready to moved on to a more thought-provoking genre. Last Friday I began A Journey to the Interior of the Earth by Jules Verne and finished it in less than a week. It's a very educating book; it's packed full of scientific talk. So much so that at times my mind often drifted away to more interesting contemplations while Dr. Lidenbrock and Axel discussed such matters. =) I have serious problems with the book, however. I wish I had known beforehand that Jules Verne took a very evolutionist viewpoint. In fact, the entire inspiration of the book is based on "Charles Lyell's Geological Evidences of the Antiquity of Man of 1863 (and probably also influenced by Lyell's earlier ground-breaking work Principles of Geology). By that time geologists had abandoned a literal biblical account of Earth's development and it was generally thought that the end of the last glacial period marked the first appearance of humanity..." (Source) What was even worse is that Verne actually took a theistic evolutionist view, which is the belief that God created matter and simply left it to evolve! Folks, it made me sick. I skipped great portions of many chapters. Therefore, I do not recommend A Journey to the Interior of the Earth.

Presently I am listening to a book with which I agree whole-heartedly, Beautiful Girlhood by Mabel Hale. What a treasure of a book! It was written in 1922 especially for teenage girls. It is so full of Biblical wisdom and timeless lessons. Every lady should read this book, old as well as young! I am no longer in my teens but I have learned so much from Mrs. Hale's wise, truthful words. Beautiful Girlhood is in the public domain, meaning it is no longer under copyright, so I have decided to undertake the privilege of sharing Mrs. Hale's book on my blog. I truly hope it will be a blessing to all of the ladies who visit my little home on the web. You can expect an appearance of the forward and preface shortly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Girlhood is one of my very favorite books. You are a wise young lady to spend time listening to the good teachings from godly books.