Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Six White Aprons

Last October I received an order request on my shop (currently down) for six white aprons. Sense and Sensibility has a lovely pattern for an Edwardian apron that I have used extensively. The lady who requested the order from me was needing the aprons for a Jane Austen Festival taking place this month in Australia. What an exciting opportunity! I agreed to the order and quickly got busy planning for the project.

Filling the order was a good experience for me, albeit a nerve-wracking one. Ordering fabric online has never been fun, but this one was a definite hassle. The shipping transit caused quite a delay, too. The huge bolt of white cotton fabric I ordered ended up being extremely lightweight and almost sheer -- not at all suitable for an apron! To my suprise, however, the lady who I was doing business with said the fabric wouldn't be a problem for her. What a relief!

By the time I finished the second apron, I was down to a system and had worked some kinks out of the pattern. Then things got busy with Thanksgiving and Christmas and I had to lay aside my sewing for days at a time. As it ended up, I finished the last apron and got them all sent off to Australia by January 11. What I thought would be a fairly simple order ended up being a two-month ordeal! (whew)


I absolutely love this pattern -- although, to be honest, as I was working on that last apron, I was not feeling at all kindly towards it. (chuckle) Below is another apron I made and sold on my shop last year. The fabric I found (at Wal-Mart, in person =) was simply perfect for this pattern. Durable and dark-colored fabric is ideal for aprons. I'll definitely be looking for more like it the next time I get to shop for fabric.

1 comment:

Laura(lea) said...

Those aprons are absolutely beautiful! :-O!
A Jane Austen festival? My, I wish I lived in Australia, haha.