Monday, June 27, 2011

Poppy Glory

All last week we had dreadfully cloudy weather. It finally began raining towards the end of the week. A wonderful, refreshing shower. Saturday the sun came out, and with it came the poppies.

Each spring, I don't think I look forward to anything more than seeing the first Arctic poppies. They're like little suns growing from the ground. =) They're one of the most glorious flowers that grow on the tundra, although the rare boreal Jacob's-ladder just might be even more beautiful.

I first thought this little creature to be a honeybee but my intelligent younger sister corrected me; it's a drone fly. Whatever it is, I'm glad it was in the flower when I was taking pictures. It certainly is an amazing little thing!

2 comments:

Lauralea said...

Ooh. La. La. I don't usually see poppies around here- if so, they're orange.
I'm sorry to say I haven't had a chance to mail out your books, yet. We had VBS stuff to do this morning... hopefully by Wednesday!!! I really am sorry!

Naomi Ungry said...

I saw orange poppies last year in Iowa. They were gorgeous and HUGE! Our yellow Arctic poppies are very small (and much prettier than the orange ones, I have to say. =) God is so good to have planted them in our barren wilderness!

I understand about the books. =)