Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Fair {Christmas Blessings}

I have a few more posts I like to share about Christmas. I hope to get them up during the next few days.

A few weeks before Christmas is our village's annual craft and book fair. It takes place in the gym of the public school. Well over half the community attends it. It is a fun, happy time. My family looks forward to it each year. Anyone who has the notion to is allowed to display their crafts and/or goodies on a table to sell. This was my family's second year to participate in the fair.


What a cutie! Looks like she will be wearing this parka for a few more winters. =)


Matching kuspuks for twin sisters! I've been blessed to watch these sweet little girls grow up from babies. They come to our children's Bible Time regularly.


Tables set up around the gym


One of the teachers went all out on desserts!


Her cinnamon rolls were huge and delicious. Yum!

 
Another teachers sells handmade bath salts and soaps every year. They are absolutely delightful!


So bright and cheerful!


So many different scents and beautiful colors!


This lady made a beautiful, festive kuspuk for herself. She was so kind to share her pattern with me! It's my goal to sew myself one before summer arrives.


Homemade candy! Wow, looks at those colors!


The lady in the center is dear Mrs. Jensen. She has been teaching in our village for over fifteen years, is much-loved by the community, and is a blessing to my family. We love you, Mrs. Jensen!


Here is my family's table. My sister and I knitted scarves and shawls.  I baked many loaves of several different breads (which explains this post =), two kinds of cookies, and chocolate cake.


My dad made homemade caribou summer sausage and pepperoni sticks. They are incredible. And they sold like hotcakes!



Business was busy!


Books were set up at the opposite end of the gym.


This elderly lady sold some beautiful native craftwork.


I got so tickled watching these two mothers admire their babies together. =) So sweet!


Babies are a blessing.


Another tender moment


This little girl has so much love in her heart. She seems to know just when a grown-up needs a hug badly. She was born with fetal alcohol syndrome. Children with mental handicaps are counted by the world as a burden and hindrance to society. I think they are the most precious people on this earth. They see the world through different eyes... They understand better than "normal" people what is truly important in life, and they are so quick to show the love that they feel so much.


My sweet little friend, thank you for the lessons you've taught me.

No comments: