Friday, June 3, 2011

Mr. Sandpiper Snipe


This is the special something I saw in our yard upon returning from our walk! A pectoral sandpiper (Calidris melnotos), such a marvelous, unique bird. I've seen them flying around for a few weeks and, of course, have been wanting to get some photos. I don't think I'll be content until I get photos of every species of bird this summer. =D I'm well on my way to becoming an avid birdwatcher. They are just such wonderful creatures!

It has very long, skinny legs and toes, helping it to walk in the soft sand without an effort.


What a long beak you have, Mr. Snipe!


All the better to stick deep in the sand and find tasty critters to eat. Yum, yum!



And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created... every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:20-21

Have you ever thought about how empty and lonely the sky would be without birds? And how terribly silent the world would be without their music?



O LORD, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches.

Psalm 104:24
Such riches God has given us to enjoy...

No comments: