Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Walk in the Spring

We had some gorgeous weather earlier this week but the past few days have been just nasty. It may be June but our weather doesn't believe it. Right now we have high winds, chilly temperatures, thick clouds, and yesterday evening we even had snow flurries! (Mm-hmm, that's snow flying in the above picture.) However, with all the wind, we hear that the ocean is starting to show signs of breaking up.

This is "Main Street" of our little village where our city buildings are located. The post office is the green-blue building with the flag.


Sea gulls on the ocean ice



Growing, living beauty I saw on Saturday


The first flower bud!!! Oh, it made my flower-loving heart SING. I recognized it right away as Arctic lychnis (more pictures further on).


Tuesday was a gorgeous spring day so my sisters and I decided to take our dog Max for a walk. Meet Tracie! She and her sister Samantha went with us on our walk. We had fun!
 

We walked out toward the airport and circled back through the village. Here are the two views!


I can't believe the snow is GONE! (gasp) It seems surreal...


However, there is still snow where larger piles had built up through the winter, particularly around the huge snow fences.

The clouds were so beautiful.


Samantha, my sister Bonnie, and Tracie. Such sweet girls!


Behind the fence is our airport. No terminal, just an airstrip and loading zone. (chuckle)

Looking into my quaint little village with the Arctic Ocean in the background. It's so picturesque.


Oh, oh, oh!!! =D I spied a patch of flowers (Arctic lychnis) out of the corner of my eye. They were on the steep bank beside the road -- I just HAD to get closer. Aren't they marvelous!?



And look what else I found! Pussy willows! We don't have trees within hundreds of miles but we do have little willow bushes that lie flat on the ground. They're pathetic. (chuckle)



I just adore pussy willows. =) They're so soft, and these had that delicate blossom scent of spring. (sigh)



Fuzzy leaves. God has given so many Arctic plants "thermal underwear." They are so unique!

Beautiful, beautiful life after a long, dark, dreary winter... (sigh) How this season encourages my heart. The Lord is so good to me! I feel like singing! 

There is springtime in my soul today, 
For, when the Lord is near,
The dove of peace sings in my heart, 
The flow'rs of grace appear.

Oh, there's sunshine, blessed sunshine
When the peaceful, happy moments roll;
When Jesus shows His smiling face
There is sunshine in the soul.

Eliza E. Hewitt

That's true not only now but during those "long, dark, dreary" endless nights of winter, as well. =)

Once we arrived back at our house I saw something very amazing in our yard... This post already has enough pictures so you'll just have to wait to see what it was!

No comments: